PRO: Best Practices #
All features described on this page are part of the Professional Edition.
While in beta, you can enable the Professional Edition by creating an account and downloading a license from https://portal.sqldsc.com.
The PRO edition will become a paid version. Until then, PRO features expire 60 days after the build date. Please see https://www.scalesql.com for updated builds or run
If you work with multiple domains, go all in on that.
- Have multiple
- Have domain specific directories under
.hclfiles under the root of
Common uses for Roles include:
- Seperate DEV from PROD
- Group all nodes of an AG together
- Group servers that are of specific versions
- Group servers by language or time zone
- Group servers by business unit
Roles can be used to group servers even if there aren’t settings in that role – however it still needs an empty
.hcl file. This can be used to stage large changes.
- This can be done by using the
--rolefilter to only process certain servers. For example, you could edit
defaults.hclbut then run with
--role alphaand it would only process for those servers assigned to role
- Or it could be done by changing the role specific setting file. For example, you could update
alpha.hcland run for all servers. Then you could put those settings in
defaults.hcland remove them from
alpha.hcland run again.